Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Answered Prayers

I have an announcement to make (no, I'm not pregnant ;)

Five and a half years ago I graduated from Appalachian State University dreaming of becoming a graphic designer. When I first moved to Salisbury, NC in August, 2006 with my sister Whitney, I wasn't having any luck finding a job in my field. Thankfully though, through her connections I was hired at Food Lion in October, 2006. I was hired as a graphic artist in the advertising department, there I've worked on several sales flyers for Food Lion, eventually landing on working on the Bloom flyer, a banner in the same company as Food Lion. This leads to the happenings of the past few months.

Last spring I found out Bloom would be closing or converting back to Food Lion their NC and SC stores to focus on their northern stores. A few months ago I found out the entire brand would be retired, therefore no more Bloom. I was told I would not be losing my job, because technically I was a Food Lion employee not Bloom. However questions still came to mind, one of them being, What would I be working on? For the past few years while working on the bloom flyer I have aspired to move into the creative services department as a brand designer. Every time the job has been available I have applied for it and been turned down, this includes my last try a few months ago. I was told to keep pressing on, learn more about my craft and maybe further into my career things would change. I even e-mailed the hiring manager after finding out Bloom would be no more, knowing there would be less work in our department, if she would reconsider me for the position. One last shot.  However she again told me no but if they changed direction, she would let me know.

Well little did I know wheels were turning in the mind of the hiring manager and she was still contemplating bringing me on board. Last thursday she offered me the job promotion I have been wanting since I started here, and I accepted. I am now one of three brand designers in the creative services department! I will be working on creative for Food Lion involving store signs, bill boards, Truck Wraps etc., anything not involving the flyer. I look forward to growing as a graphic designer, expanding my experience and furthering my career!

To me it's just amazing how God's plan works, He doesn't answer every prayer the way you want Him to. It seems like He changes your life when you least expect it but when He knows you most need it. I was second guessing my talent and creative ability, whether I was on the right career path, after having been looked over and turned down so many times. But by just being me I showed what they were looking for and they are willing to give me the chance to show them what I can do!

I will keep you updated on this transition and new endeavor in my life!

Until next time.....

~Elyse

(Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors, I am and artist not a writer ;)

2 comments: